Disclosure: This Ravenclaw tattoo page contains affiliate links. Read full Disclosure Policy.
The Ravenclaw house is one of the four Hogwarts houses, and is a popular Harry Potter tattoo theme. It’s known for its members’ wit and learning. The Ravenclaw house mascot is an eagle, and its colors are blue and bronze.
The Ravenclaw common room is located in a tower at Hogwarts. To get to it, you need the password to a door that will only open if you answer a riddle correctly. The common room’s ceiling looks like a starry night sky.
The founder of the Ravenclaw house was Rowena Ravenclaw. She valued intelligence and creativity above all else, and she made sure that her students were treated with kindness and respect, even though she was often considered stern by other teachers.
Members of the Ravenclaw house are known for their wisdom—they’re always reading and learning new things, so they can become smarter. They’re also big on free-thinking—other houses might see them as rebellious or radical because they don’t always follow the rules.
What Kind of Ravenclaw Tattoo Design Should I Get?
If you’re looking for the perfect Ravenclaw tattoo, you have plenty of options when it comes to design. From a simple outline of an eagle’s head, to an intricate depiction of the Ravenclaw crest.
We’ve put together a list of some possible designs and their meaning:
- The Ravenclaw crest: This is the most obvious choice if you’re looking for something that says “Ravenclaw” loud and proud. The crest has a lot of intricate details, so it really allows your artist to show off their skills. Also, if your tattoo artist isn’t as familiar with Harry Potter as you are (shame on them!), they can look up the crest online and see what it looks like.
- An eagle’s head: The eagle is the symbol of Ravenclaw house, so this one is pretty straightforward. Even though it’s a simple design, it’s still easy to tell which house it represents. It also looks great in black and gray!
- A quote from one of the books or movies: If you have a favorite line from Harry Potter, this is another option for you! Some examples include: “I wonder what it would be like to have wings,” or “Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.”
If you’re looking for something with a little more pizzazz and pop, but still subtle enough to be work-appropriate (or mom-friendly), think about getting a design that incorporates the colors of Ravenclaw house. A watercolor design featuring indigo and blue hues will make everyone around you wish they were as smart as you.
What is the Meaning of a Ravenclaw Tattoo?
The Ravenclaw family is associated with intelligence, wit, and learning. The Ravenclaw house also has these characteristics. It is considered by many to be the most studious of all the houses within Hogwarts, as well as being one of the most intellectually focused. As such, members who choose to get tattoos are often looking for an embodiment of those qualities within their tattoo design.
A Ravenclaw tattoo can mean any number of things to a person who chooses to get it: loyalty to the house, a dedication to education and learning, or simply an outward expression of pride in their membership in the Ravenclaw family or Hogwarts house.
What are some of Ravenclaw’s characteristics?
The Ravenclaw house is characterized by wit, learning, and intelligence. Many members of the house were also described as being quiet and studious, and these characteristics are echoed in the house’s common room, which is located high in a tower and which requires students to answer a riddle to be admitted entry.
Famous members of the Ravenclaw house include:
- Rowena Ravenclaw – Founder of the Ravenclaw House
- Gilderoy Lockhart – Famous wizarding author
- Padma Patil – Hogwarts student during Harry Potter’s years there
- Cho Chang – Hogwarts student during Harry Potter’s years there
The Best Ravenclaw Tattoo Ideas
What are some designs ideas for a Ravenclaw Deathly Hallows tattoo?
The Deathly Hallows are a symbol of the wizarding world, but they also have a special meaning for members of the Ravenclaw house.
Here are some ideas for incorporating the deathly Hallows into your design:
- A full-color tattoo of all three Hallows, with the Elder wand being held by an eagle, the Resurrection Stone surrounded by stars, and the Cloak of Invisibility blowing in wind created by an owl’s wings.
- A small black outline of the three Hallows on the ring finger, with a raven in place of an engagement ring.
- A single feather from an owl’s wing that transforms into one of the three Hallows when you cut it in half.
What Kind of Ravenclaw Design Should I Choose?
The Ravenclaw house at Hogwarts has a reputation for being the most studious of the four houses. Its members are typically known for their intelligence, curiosity, and thirst for knowledge. If you belong to this house, you may be interested in getting a tattoo that reflects your membership in the house. But what kind of design should you choose? And where on your body should you place the tattoo?
There are several options for Ravenclaw tattoos. By far, the most popular tattoo is the raven itself. The raven is often shown as holding a key in its beak or talons. Another common design is “wit beyond measure,” either written or displayed in symbols such as an eye, a candle, and dice or dominoes.
If you’re looking for a small design, perhaps to place on your wrist or ankle, consider one of these two designs: A feather from the raven’s wings or the diadem worn by Rowena Ravenclaw herself.
If you want something more substantial to display on your arm or back, consider using all four words that represent houses: “Wit beyond measure is man’s greatest treasure.” You could also have this line written in runes, which are symbols that can mean almost anything you want them to mean.
Which tattoo is your favorite? Tell us in the comments!